Monday, May 02, 2011

The Dandy Warhols - 'Godless'

I remember where I was when I first saw the video for 'Godless.'

It was two in the morning, and I was in that special twilight zone between awake and dreaming. I think the year was 2000.  I was in my friend's basement, and MTV2 was playing in the distance.  The video was non-threatening at first, subtly creeping into my consciousness with its negative spacing and slow motion aesthetics.  But then that damned hula hoop just kept spinning, and spinning, and spinning, and spinning, and before I knew it, I was hooked to the video and suddenly addicted to The Dandy Warhols.

Thirteen Tales from Bohemia went on to become one of the most influential albums of indie rock in the early 2000s.  The album featured the spectacular 'Bohemian Like You' and 'Sleep,' in addition to 'Godless.'  Needless to say, art rock was never the same thereafter.

Watch the video to 'Godless' below:


No comments: