Monday, May 05, 2008

David Allen Coe - 'You Never Even Called Me By My Name'

It's not hard to like an outlaw country song. Not only are they great to drink a beer to, but the best ones always seem to speak to you in all the right places. 'You Never Even Called Me By My Name' is the perfect example of such a tune.

'You Never' is wrought mostly with bluesy despair during each verse, but once its rallying chorus kicks in, the song quickly transforms into a marshaling cry for all friends in low places:


"And I'll hang around as long as you will let me / And I never minded standin' in the rain / But you don't have to call me Darlin', Darlin' / You never even called me by my name!"

But perhaps the greatest part of 'You Never' is the final verse:


"Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison / And I went to pick her up in the rain / But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck / She got runned over by a damned old train!"

Go ahead and listen to the David Allen Coe version of this All-American classic by streaming below:


David Allen Coe - 'You Never Even Called Me By My Name'


PS: For more outlaw country, stream some 'Snake Farm' by clicking here.

No comments: