Monday, February 13, 2006

Ted's Song of the Week - 2/13/06












Smoke And Mirrors
Action Action
An Army of Shapes Between Wars

From the moment I popped this disc into my car's CD player, I was blown away by the first track "Smoke And Mirrors." The eerie 43 second intro leaves the listener totally unprepared for the brilliance that immediately follows. An unbridled keyboard surges the song forward, while a loopy bass riff does the grunt work in keeping the track structured. The icing to the cake would have to be singer Clarke Foley's amazing sense of ryhthm and interesting lyrics.

There are some songs out there that may persuade you to move to the beat. "Smoke And Mirrors" gets right to the point and forces that movement. Synth-pop at its finest.

Listen to the sample:

Action Action - Smoke and Mirrors



This track can also be heard at Lonely Note Radio.

Lyrics:
Comatose
Feed my head with liberty; I've got an appetite for deceit
I'm done, well done, stick a fork in me
cover me in apathy
Discreetly and distinct able
I am trying to break your heart
I'm plagued with doubt
no frogs or murdered first born
My thoughts are just a little sun burnt
Dismantle all that ever was
Strip it down; withdrawal the blood

Something going to break real soon, who's covering whose eyes?
Safety in knowing others lies pulled by the strings of time
Hold me back; I'm going to throw it all down on the table
Do you expect us to believe in these fables?
Oh, what to do with you?
With you, with you, with you
Hold me tight
It seems all I really have is in front of me
Is the rest just a dream or a fallacy?
Oh, what to do with you?
With you, with you, with you

A throwback to all those 80's slasher flicks
You're a cheap thriller, and I'm getting sick of it.
God's dead and all bets have waived their rights
All is fair in love and time
Who will win the game of war?
Illusion, a delusion, a terrible secret
What one does sees another's lost prophet

Hold me close
I can see right through you
Challenge all you've ever heard
Incite the search and motivate
Something going to break real soon, who's covering whose eyes?
Safety in knowing others lies pulled by the strings of time

Please read between the lines
A simple compromise between the sands of time
Please say with me, say with me…

No comments: