Sunday, February 05, 2006

Superbowl Convinces Me That the Rolling Stones Need to Retire

Roughly half an hour ago, the Rolling Stones performed the halftime show of Superbowl XL. I would have to say it was one of the worst halftime shows I've ever seen. I don't care if the Rolling Stones were one of the most innovative bands of all time, and I don't care that they are in their sixties and still performing strong. The show was horrible. When I watch something as exciting as the National Football League's world championship, I want a halftime show with the intoxicating thrill to match. To borrow a line from George Carlin, watching the Rolling Stones tonight was about as exciting as trying to "watch flies f***."

Was it
Neil Young who said, "It's better to burn out than to fade away?" The Rolling Stones are immortal---or rather, they were immortal. After seeing their lackluster show tonight, I'm not so sure their legacy can continue to maintain it's once-godly status.

To the Rolling Stones, from one lowly music fan, I urge you to throw in the reins before you embarrass yourselves further.

Thank-you, and back to the music.

No comments: